Why settle for a boring old stew when you could have a delicious, exotic Moroccan chicken stew? Our easy-to-follow recipe makes it simple to create this authentic dish, even if you’ve never made it before.
And, of course, you can make it with or without couscous – it’s up to you!
Serve it alone for a satisfying stew that’s paleo friendly, or add couscous and you’ve got a traditional Moroccan meal that everyone will love.
The best part of this chicken stew is that it’s packed with flavor. The chicken is cooked in a fragrant mixture of spices, and the carrots add a lovely sweetness. Plus, the addition of fresh mint makes it beautifully fragrant.
So what are you waiting for?
If you love chicken stew but are looking for something a little different, try this easy Moroccan chicken stew. This hearty dish is loaded with flavor.
Chicken breasts are simmered in a flavorful broth of tomatoes, onions, garlic, and spices until they are tender andfall-apart delicious.
For a complete meal, serve this stew over a bed of couscous. Or, if you’re looking for a lighter option, enjoy it as is. Either way, you’re sure to love this easy Moroccan chicken stew!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken thighs skinless
- 1 cup carrot rinsed, peeled and diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 0.25 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 0.5 cup black olives
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
NOTE: Leave out couscous to make this a delicious paleo friendly meal
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add chicken legs, and brown on all sides, about 2–3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and put on a plate with a cover to hold warm.
- Add spice blend to sauté pan and toast gently.
- Add carrots and onion to sauté pan, and cook for about 3–4 minutes or until the onions have turned clear, but not brown.
- Add lemon juice, chicken broth, and olives to sauté pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken legs, and return to a boil. Cover and gently simmer for about 10–15 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F).
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous by bringing chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add couscous, and remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork, and gently mix in the mint.
- When chicken is cooked, add salt. Serve two chicken legs over ½ cup couscous topped with ½ cup sauce in a serving bowl. Add chili sauce to taste.